The Federation of Jewish Philanthropies maintained a financial relationship with the Greater New York Fund (GNYF) for many decades, with budget files in the collection beginning in 1941 and continuing up to the fiscal year of the merger with UJA. Information in the files as well as online sources reveal a fund that predated both FJP and GNYF, the United Hospital Fund (UHF).
“The United Hospital Fund was founded by hospital trustees and other concerned New Yorkers in 1879 as an innovative approach to organizing charitable support for voluntary, non-profit hospitals in New York City and to help solve shared problems”, such as the escalating cost of health care. (for more information about the origins of the United Hospital Fund, see: http://www.uhfnyc.org/about_the_fund/mission_and_history.)
From the 1941 publication, “A Handbook of Information”, issued by GNYF: “In 1938, the Fund joined with other major fundraising groups to form the Greater New York Fund, now United Way of New York City. “… the Fund has become the largest single contributor to practically all of its participating agencies, including the Federation for the Support of Jewish Philanthropic Societies in New York City (the previous name of FJP, before its merger with Brooklyn Federation in 1944), the Catholic Charities of New York, the Federation of Protestant Welfare Agencies and the Community Service Society …”
Every year, FJP and each of its agencies applied to the GNYF for funding in a lengthy and laborious procedure. These agency files form a large part of the GNYF subseries within the Budget Department files. In 1947 FJP received $85,305, according to the GNYF annual report for that year; in the 1950s about 40 Federation agencies applied for GNYF funding, including Louise Wise Services, Altro Health and Rehabilitation Services, Hebrew Home for the Aged and Camp Louemma.
When the director of the UHF Grant Adams died in 1971, his obituary in the New York Times quoted him as having said in 1962, “the UHF, the Greater New York Fund and the Federation of Jewish Philanthropies produce ‘the essential ‘gap-bridging’ 8 per cent’ ” of the budgets of then 56 agencies to whom funding was distributed by GNYF. http://query.nytimes.com/mem/archive/pdf?res=F70E14F7395C1A7493C7AB1783D85F458785F9:
Today UHF is a funded agency of the GNYF (United Way).
We have retained these files because of the extraordinary level of detail about agency budgets. In future blog posts we will explore some of this detail and how important this 8% funding was to hospitals and other agencies.
Because of minimal processing we’ve retained many drafts, notes and worksheets filed with the financial reports. Today we’ll leave you with this meeting note on lined paper, from the 1978 file on the Lexington school for the Deaf,
memorable mostly for the typing practice on the back: